Skip to main content

Research: Main Magazine Genre

Why Beauty?

When it comes to deciding the genre, I wanted to choose something that I read and have a general idea about, which mainly involves make-up related stuff including self-care and self-grooming tips.

Another reason, to choose this is that the genre of beauty holds some diversity to itself as well. You cannot talk about beauty and self-grooming without talking about style and fashion, healthcare hack, and stressing about eating healthy etc. Maybe throwing in some lifestyle, influencer and celebrity gossip stuff wouldn't sound too unrelated and off-topic either.

Magazine brands like Vogue and Elle, for example, are mainly about fashion and lifestyle but fall under the category of beauty as well. Many local magazines that I've known, like Diva and Sunday magazine, also have this in common. Basically, this means that I can stretch this genre in any direction as long as it relates to discussing physical attributes that are generally known to be appealing to a wide audience. I can also go on to emphasize culturally driven standards of beauty, like the Allure magazine and be racially inclusive as well.

So, with all that inspiration, I think by choosing this genre I can cover a variety of topics and this would enrich my content, so it doesn't get boring.

As a sub-category, I'll be going for teen, school/college life beauty. With that, I'm intending to target a female audience of teens and young adults, focusing on managing school/college life and maintaining self-care and beauty habits.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Research: Survey Results

  The following are the results of the school magazine survey I conducted for my research. What is your gender? Multiple Choice   Choice Total Male 13 Female 28 The total number of respondents were 41, with a majority of female participants but a considerable number of boys have also responded to the survey. So, the findings of the survey could be generalized to both genders. What is your age? Multiple Choice   Choice Total 15-16 7 17-18 13 Above 21 Since its a school magazine, my target audience should supposedly be around the ages of 15-18 or even above. The majority of the respondents are above 18, which is fine for my research. Do you enjoy reading school magazines. Multiple Choice   Choice Total Yes, I do 9 Maybe, if they're interesting 24 No, I don't like reading in the first place 8 This questions was necessary to ask to know the size of my audience, i.e. how many people would really read a school magazine. According to these results, majority respondents don'...

Planning: Codes and Conventions

 Application of codes and conventions on the genre. The above magazine follows the conventions of a teen beauty magazine. The model used for the main image is a young girl in a casual dress-up. The subtle make-up and bubbly expressions denote the innocence and youthfulness that teen girls have. The codes and conventions followed in the above magazine are bold, over the top styling, heavy make-up and extravagant props. The models in this genre usually take up looks that no woman would generally wear, so it's not necessarily a representation of women rather a creative portrayal of beauty as art.

School Magazine Cover Page Analysis

 Here is the cover-page analysis of some school magazines that I did.