Skip to main content

Media Concepts

There are some concepts you need to understand to become media literate and they are listed below:

Audience: the people towards whom the media product is targeted.
Genre: it could also be a mixture of two known as a hybrid genre.
Ideology: the main motive or object behind.
Institution: the production company for a movie when it's made.
Narrative: the writing or script.
Production: Who is funding it? Where does the finance come from?
Representation: What does it represent? For example, what's its ethical background and what culture it represents? 

Media is all about communication.
Communication has 3 forms:
Visual: basic entertainment - cinema
Textual: print media - lithographic, handwritten posters, newspapers etc. 
Audio: broadcast widely accessible, such as radio, television, internet. This leads to revolution and social networking and industry formation. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marketing Kit

 For the marketing of my magazine I have created a marketing kit.

Planning: Codes and Conventions

 Application of codes and conventions on the genre. The above magazine follows the conventions of a teen beauty magazine. The model used for the main image is a young girl in a casual dress-up. The subtle make-up and bubbly expressions denote the innocence and youthfulness that teen girls have. The codes and conventions followed in the above magazine are bold, over the top styling, heavy make-up and extravagant props. The models in this genre usually take up looks that no woman would generally wear, so it's not necessarily a representation of women rather a creative portrayal of beauty as art.

Double Spread: Construction - Editing and Designing

I started by constructing the layout for my spreadsheet first following the sketch that I had made after I had improved the brightness and lighting on the image. I then added the heading using the font 'Bahnscrift' in bold.  In order to add the article I had written within the shape, I used this technique of using the pen tool to first outline the shape and then add the text within the shape before hiding the layer with the highlighted shape. Finally, I added some text on the top-right corner as well, using the font 'Freestyle script'.